Desserts & Breads
Opens in a new window
- ●1 packet (7 grams) active-dry yeast
- ●1/2 cup warm water (110° F)
- ●5 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ●1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ●1/3 cup butter, softened
- ●2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ●1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ●1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ●1 teaspoon salt
- ●1/2 cup warm milk
- ●1/2 to 1 teaspoon vegetable oil for oiling bowl
- ●1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- ●2/3 cup NESTLÉ ABUELITA Granulated Chocolate Drink Mix or 1 tablet (90 grams) NESTLÉ ABUELITA Authentic Mexican Hot Chocolate Drink, grated
Combine yeast and water in a small bowl. Let stand for at least 10 minutes until yeast turns foamy.
Place 2 cups flour on a working surface. Make a well in the middle of flour and add sugar, 1/3 cup butter, eggs, vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt. Mix by hand, adding 2 cups flour ½ cup at a time until a smooth and lightly sticky dough is formed. Slowly add yeast mixture and milk to dough and knead for 5 to 7 minutes more until dough is completely smooth and elastic.
Shape the dough into a ball and transfer (crease side down) to a large oiled bowl. Brush a small amount of oil with hands over surface of dough. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm area for 2 ½ to 3 hours or until dough doubles in size.
Deflate dough by pressing with fingers. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
Beat 1/2 cup butter with a hand mixer until smooth. Add remaining 1 cup flour and Abuelita chocolate and continue beating until completely mixed and a paste is formed.
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
Divide dough into 12 balls and arrange on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart. Press each ball down lightly. Divide topping into 12 balls. Form each ball of topping into a disk and press flat over each dough ball, covering as much of the surface as possible.
Cut lines through topping with a small knife or circle cutter, resembling a sea shell or scallop. Lightly cover baking sheets with plastic wrap and place them in a warm place. Let rolls rise for about 1 hour or until double in size.
Preheat oven to 375° F. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bread is golden brown. Let cool on wire racks and serve.