Opens in a new window
- Pan de Jamon is a traditional Venezuelan holiday dish. A simple but very impressive bread stuffed with ham, olives and raisins.
- ●3/4 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- ●1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- ●2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ●1 teaspoon MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon
- ●1/4 cup lukewarm water (110° F)
- ●1 packet (7 grams) active-dry yeast
- ●3 cups all-purpose flour
- ●2 large eggs, beaten, divided
- ●1 tablespoon vegetable oil, for greasing
- ●1/2 pound sliced ham
- ●1/2 cup raisins
- ●3/4 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
Combine evaporated milk, butter, sugar and bouillon in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; let cool to room temperature.
Combine water and dry yeast in a small bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to activate yeast.
Add flour to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer. Make well in the center of the flour and add yeast mixture, milk mixture and 1 beaten egg. Knead on low speed with dough hook attachment until dough is elastic and no longer sticky.
Place dough in a large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm area for 1 ½ to 2 hours. Dough should double in size.
Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface; knead and roll out to a 15 x 12-inch rectangle.
Spread ham and raisins evenly over rolled out dough, keeping a ½-inch dough border. Arrange a row of olives close to border and another row closer to the middle (this will ensure every slice has at least two pieces of olive).
Roll dough up into a loaf. Place on baking sheet. Wet fingers with lukewarm water and spread on seam and sides, pinching sides shut and sealing the seam. Cover roll with plastic wrap and a towel and let rest for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Brush top of loaf with remaining beaten egg; pierce loaf with fork. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until bread is golden brown. Remove from oven; let cool for 15 minutes and serve.
Add a layer of pancetta or bacon for a variation of flavor. For a spicy kick, add pickled jalapeños.