Opens in a new window
EL MEJOR NIDO
40 appetizer servings
- ●2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ●1 1/4 cups finely chopped onion
- ●2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ●1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- ●1 tablespoon chili powder
- ●2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ●1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ●1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ●1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- ●1 pound lean ground beef
- ●2 tablespoons MAGGI Granulated Beef Flavor Bouillon
- ●1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes in juice, undrained
- ●2/3 cup chopped pimiento-stuffed green olives
- ●1/2 cup currants
- ●1/2 cup water
- ●1/3 cup pine nuts (optional)
- ●2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- ●2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ●4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ●1 tablespoon baking powder
- ●1 teaspoon salt
- ●1 cup vegetable shortening, melted
- ●1 cup warm milk
- ●1 large egg, beaten
- ●1 large egg yolk, beaten
- ●Vegetable oil for frying
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon and cloves. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes or until onion has softened. Add beef and bouillon; cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink. Add tomatoes with juice, olives, currants, water, nuts, sugar and tomato paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until mixture is heated through and has thickened slightly.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add shortening, milk, egg and egg yolk. Stir with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough into 40 pieces and roll into balls. Roll each ball on a floured surface to a 5-inch circle. Keep dough balls covered as you work.
Heat oil in large saucepan for frying.
Place 1 heaping tablespoon filling in center of each circle. Wet edges with water and fold in half; seal edges by pinching together or crimping with fork. Fry a few empanaditas at a time until golden brown or place on baking sheets and bake in preheated 400º F oven for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.