Opens in a new window
EL MEJOR NIDO
57 (3-inch) buñuelos
- Celebrate with these festive star-shaped buñuelos at your next gathering. Your guests will not be able to resist just one.
- ●3/4 cup water
- ●4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ●1 (4-inch) cinnamon stick
- ●1/4 cup Coffee mate® natural bliss® Vanilla Flavor All-Natural Coffee Creamer
- ●3 cups all-purpose flour
- ●1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- ●1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- ●1 large egg
- ●1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ●Vegetable oil
- ●1/2 cup granulated sugar
- ●2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
Combine water, 4 teaspoons sugar and cinnamon stick in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Let mixture come to a boil; remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature. Stir in Coffee mate natural bliss Creamer; set aside. Remove cinnamon stick.
Combine flour, baking powder and shortening in a large bowl. Mix with hands until mixture becomes crumbly. Add egg and vanilla extract; continue mixing with hands. Continue mixing, adding liquid mixture a 1/4 cup at a time until a smooth and malleable dough forms. If dough is too dry, moisten hands and form a large ball. Transfer dough to a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand for 30 minutes.
Roll out dough in 1-cup portions at a time to 1/4-inch thickness or thinner. Using a 3-inch star cookie or sandwich cutter, cut out dough stars. Place dough stars on a flat surface; let stand for 15 minutes.
Combine ½ cup sugar and ground cinnamon in a shallow bowl or large plate.
Heat approximately 1/2-inch depth of oil in a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Test oil temperature by dropping in a small ball of dough. Oil should bubble. Carefully add a few buñuelos at a time to oil and fry for 20 to 30 seconds on each side or until golden.
Transfer each star immediately to cinnamon/sugar mixture and coat.