Opens in a new window
- Tortilla Española, or Spanish Omelette, is a typical Spanish dish consisting of an egg omelette made with added potatoes. This version also has added onion. Delicious for a hearty breakfast or dinner.
- ●1 pound baby white potatoes or Yukon potatoes, sliced thinly in rounds
- ●1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- ●1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil, divided
- ●1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- ●1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ●5 large eggs
- ●1/3 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Fat Free Milk
- ●1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- ●1/3 cup quartered grape tomatoes
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Combine potato slices, onion, ¼ cup oil, ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss with clean hands to combine ingredients. Spread potato mixture onto prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 35 minutes, carefully stirring with large spoon about 15 minutes into the baking time. Do not brown. Potatoes should be soft and tender.
Whisk eggs, evaporated milk and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Fold in potato mixture.
Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add egg and potato mixture. When edges begin to cook, push them in with a spatula. Cook for about 4 minutes or until bottom of tortilla is set. Top and center should still be uncooked.
Flip tortilla onto a plate large enough to cover skillet. Carefully slide tortilla back into skillet using a spatula. Push sides of tortilla with spatula, making sure sides of skillet are clean and egg sticks to tortilla.
Flip tortilla onto plate one more time. Carefully slide tortilla back into skillet using spatula. Cook for 2 minutes or until tortilla is completely cooked.
Slide tortilla onto a serving plate. Garnish with cilantro and tomatoes. Serve immediately.
Add shredded cheese or vegetables for a variation on this classic dish. For added flavor, replace ¼ teaspoon salt in egg mixture with MAGGI Granulated Chicken Flavor Bouillon.