- Skip the store bought paneton and prepare your own at home. It is a delicious edible gift for your loved ones. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to prepare.
- ●3/4 cup NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Lowfat 2% Milk
- ●2 packets (7 grams each) active-dry yeast
- ●4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- ●1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- ●1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- ●4 large eggs, divided
- ●4 large egg yolks
- ●1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ●1 tablespoon orange juice
- ●3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, removed from refrigerator for about 20 minutes (colder than room temp), cut into pieces
- ●1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- ●1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- ●1/2 cup raisins
- ●1/2 cup golden raisins
- ●1 cup chopped pecans
- ●1 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- ●1 teaspoon melted butter
Heat evaporated milk in small saucepan over low heat until warm (about 110° F). Remove from heat; stir in yeast and ¾ cup flour. Stir gently until well mixed. Cover with plastic wrap; set aside for 15 minutes.
Combine sugar, salt, 3 whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla extract, orange juice and ¾ cup butter in a large mixer bowl. Mix with hook attachment until well combined but chunky.
Add yeast mixture; mix at low speed. Add remaining 3 ¾ cups flour, 1 cup at a time. Continue mixing until dough starts to come together. Mixture should be sticky and wet.
Place dough on a floured surface. Add grated orange peel, grated lemon peel, raisins, nuts and cherries. Fold and knead dough, using a dough scraper or large spatula and adding a little extra flour if necessary. Dough will be well mixed and smooth but still sticky.
Shape dough into a ball using floured hands. Place dough inside a 9-inch diameter paneton mold or mold with tall sides (such as a springform pan).
Brush top of dough with melted butter; cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place to rise for 2 ½ to 3 hours or until almost doubled in size. Remove plastic wrap. Beat remaining egg; brush egg over dough.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Bake for 60 to 65 minutes or until golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
Top with a sweet glaze. Whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons evaporated milk in a medium bowl until completely smooth. Drizzle over paneton and let set for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.